Tuesday, October 13, 2009

one week pacifier free :o)

Last Tuesday was Gavin's very first dentist appointment - and he was AWESOME!!  He watched me get my teeth cleaned first then it was his turn.  I didn't bother taking my camera.. well because truthfully I completely forgot (NOT like me!) but I also figured he would probably have a break down so I wouldn't really get any cute photos anyway.. Boy was I wrong!  Gavin was super brave and so relaxed through the whole cleaning.  He let Noelle (the hygenist) clean his teeth, floss his teeth and polish his teeth (with the yummy chocolate polish that he picked out!).  Steven held a mirror up for some of it so he could watch what she was going - he was loving it!!  I just stood there watching him in amazement.  How can my little baby bean already be having his first dentist appointment.. how can my little fella already be 3 years old.. how is this possible?!?  I did shed a few tears - just because I was such a proud momma (and because I didn't have my camera..)  After Noelle was done cleaning his teeth it was time for the dentist to come in and check them out.  Gav was not so thrilled with Dr. Don - but he warmed up fairly quickly and let him count his teeth and get a good look around.  Everything looks good - we obviously have to continue working on brushing and flossing - certainly a challenge with a 3 year old - but thankfully there are no major issues!  Gav and I both go back in April for our next cleaning.

Now for the even more amazing part - I have been trying to think of a cleaver way to get rid of Gav's pacifiers - he's just too big for them and I'd really like them gone before Gabrielle arrives.  So I thought, why not take them to the dentist.. it's worth a shot.  Well, it actually worked!!!  He took his paci in and gave it to Dr. Don without any fuss - I was completely shocked and of course very worried about how bed time would be that night.  8:30 p.m. rolls around, we head up to bed, Gav asks "where's my paci Mommy" and I say "don't you remember, you gave it to the dentist" - his reply "I wanna read this book Mommy."  Wait, what???  You aren't going to freak out and have a fit - you aren't going to cry the rest of the night because you want your paci???  Are you really just letting it go that easily.. you sure are!!  Holy smokes, that's my boy!  He has asked for his paci twice since last Tuesday - no real hiccups with bedtime or nap time - it's wonderful!!  Had I known it would be this easy I would have done it a while ago, but then again he may have not been ready.  I am so happy this transition is behind us - now if we can just work on the potty.  I really had this fear of my son getting married in his McQueen pullups with his silly paci in his mouth - one down, one to go :o)

Last Wednesday Steven and I took Gavin for his 3 year check-up - again, how in the world is my sweet baby boy 3 years old?!?!  Dr. Scott said Gav looks great and is developing right on track! We asked him about potty training and he shared that it's very common for boys his age to know how to use the potty but not really have much interest.  He said not to push it too much for now.  He doesn't have to get any immunizations, besides the flu shot, until he's ready for kindergarten.  (oh crap, kindergarten, no way!)
Gav's 3 year stats:

Weight: 33 pounds
Height: 3 feet 2 1/2 inches tall
He's in the 60-65th percentile for both!
Head circumference: 19 inches


I will try to most more about our weekend very soon - we had an awesome weekend full of Build-a-Bear, haircuts, football, Mr. Potato Head and a pumpkin patch!  (yes, I have photos, don't worry!)

No comments: